My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There's a lot of things about me! But know this...I serve Jesus!

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Mentoring!

So I've been looking into mentoring a lot lately...probably due to the fact that I had to read a book about it for my youth ministry class. But it has opened my eyes a bit.

I've always known the importance of mentoring, how efficient it is. But I never thought that it was as great as it is. I say this because I didn't think that I was mentored as a teenager, but as I thought over my paper last night I realized that I was mentored. I was mentored in an unconventional way, a way that according to the book I read would not be considered a mentoring relationship. I said screw the authors, I know that I was mentored by these people!

These people I am talking about it the kitchen staff at Camp Starrigan! I've had the wonderful opportunity to work for four summers at that beautiful camp! I love it there, but more because the people are wonderful. How exactly was I mentored? It's called music camp! The most dreaded camp of the summer! It's a week long, during the hottest part of the summer, and with the most people! Not to mention the demands that the facutly throw out every two minutes! But being asked to work music camp is an honor, really! The staff is close, they've all been working there for many years and they know what they're doing. Working with them taught me how to treat people, even though you may feel like ripping their heads off. They taught me to keep my cool, to show kindness, and how to properly cut an orange in to equal slices! I love those ladies, they taught me a great deal...maybe I'll write them a letter and tell them how they have helped me grow!!

Challenge...be a mentor!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mentoring is awesome. I don't think it always has to be official. I just hang out with people and sometimes conversations start up. It's awesome :)

You should send a letter to the kitchen staff this summer. They would love that!

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home