My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There's a lot of things about me! But know this...I serve Jesus!

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Oh Don!

As you can tell by my profile I'm a big fan of Donald Miller. Well, this past week I bought his new book called, "To Own A Dragon; Reflections on Growing Up Without A Father". Now as you already know I've been blessed to grow up with a wonderful father, so why would I want to read this book? Because I love Don! If you haven't read any of his stuff you should he's awesome!

Anyways, this book is all about him and how he coped with the different things of life without a dad. It's a good, easy read, mainly due to the fact that it was written with the idea that teenaged boys without fathers were gonna read it. However, I've been touched by this book as well. In the chapter about sex, Donald explains how he was talking with a fraternity at the University of Texas. They were talking about how hard it was for them to be "Christians" at that school because there was so much drinking and sex going on. Don said something that spoke to me as a woman, here's how it played out,

"But women don't withhold sex. It doesn't work like that any more," a guy from the back of the room stated.

"That's true," I said. "Women are imitating men, I think. The presuppostion is that men are right, and in order for a women to be successful, she should not act like a woman but like a man. Thanks for the compliment, but I disagree. I think men need women to be women, and we need to be made to jump through some hoops. If a woman withholds sex until she gets wants, we are all better for it."

I love that, and the funny thing is it's true! We (women) try so hard to find our place in the world that we forget to act like a woman. It's time to make the men jump through hoops, ladies...it's time!:)

Gold!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home