My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There's a lot of things about me! But know this...I serve Jesus!

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Bob is a wise man!

So the other day at work a gentleman came in looking for the copy of Shawshank Redemption that he had on reserve. As I proceeded to help him he started to talk to me. Talk to me about, well, a lot of things. His first comment was that Tim Robbins character and he were the same person. They were very similar. So he decided to tell me about his adventures with the correctional service in Ontario, he even showed me a check that came from the system. He was a real nice guy, he talked a lot, like 45 minutes, creeped me out a bit at first, but then I realized that everyone needs an un-biased ear! I mentioned to him that my dad works at the courts here in Toronto, young offenders though. He automatically asked, "what does he do?" to which I replied, "he's a chaplain." " With the Salvation Army?" "Yes!" "The Salvation Army are good people, I have something at home that I want you to give to your dad for me." At this point, he went home and about 20 minutes later he returned with a section of his book with a note to my father written on the top page. He spent a lot of time in the store and the funny part is, he still hasn't bought the movie, it still sits in the hold drawer.

I'm telling you this because, my dad left the papers on the kitchen table, so I decided to read some of them. They moved me to tears, his thoughts, his ideas, his actual words. From a prison cell Bob, was able to take his own experience and what he saw in the world and put it down on paper. It opened my eyes! Here's a little taste:

I have learnt that in order to learn, you've got to be free. Even though you may be caged, locked up for 24 hours a day, you are still free as long as you don't give up control of your mind. most people are not behind bars, but I believe they are prisoners, and are in self-imposed prisons, the worst kind of prison. they are prisoner to their beliefs, certitudes, addictions, and ignorance. to be in a self-imposed prison is the greatest act of ignorance, when you can free yourself by risking to be just you.

It's true! I've been facing that a lot at work. People being imprisoned because they can't unlock the door to the cell of their mind and just listen to their hearts to become themselves. Not to let what the "norms" or what society says jade your mind.

Just a thought!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home